It takes more than impeccable moves and timing to be ready to perform with Beyoncé “the Kang” Knowles-Carter. To prep for the megastar’s epic appearance at this year’s Coachella festival, several members of her dance team paid a visit to Los Angeles-based brow artist Giselle Soto of Giselle Soto Brows for some precision face-framing work.
Soto is one of the newest rising stars in the brow game, and also counts Destiny’s Child veteran Michelle Williams among her clientele. Her trademark combination technique of waxing, tweezing and filling in—including micro-blading, if necessary—is earning her a growing and glamorous fan base.
One of those fans is actress and longtime Beyoncé dance captain Ashley Everett, who made sure she and her girls got shaped up by Soto before blowing our minds at Saturday’s performance. By the looks of it, they were very satisfied customers.
We’re also fans of Soto’s precision and never overexaggerated shapes. With warmer temps on the horizon, we couldn’t help wondering how to make our brows as sweatproof and, well, flawless as a member of Queen Bey’s squad. Thankfully, Soto came through with a few tips:
Prepare to be smudge-proof:
- Make sure not to overmoisturize, and avoid using skin-care products near your brows, in general.
- Oily skin won’t allow for product to hold well. Prior to filling in the shape, use a toner over the area if necessary.
- Don’t get caught up in the primer hype; if you’re using great products with amazing formulas, they should be able to last, so primer isn’t necessary.
How to get your brow look to last:
- Start with a brow pencil to fill in the sparse areas. Then go over the brow with a thin layer of powder. Follow with wax or pomade.
- To waterproof brows, waterproof pencils and brow gels are best.
- For a more natural look, stick to a powder instead of a pencil.
- No matter what you use to fill the brow shape, the best way to make brows last all day is to always set with a brow gel, which helps to keep brow hairs in place throughout the day so they don’t look unruly. A clear gel will always make them last longer.